Skip to main content

what I learned from the MET




The Costume Institute Gala or known as Met Ball (or moreover, people often nicknamed it as the "Oscars of the East Coast") is an annual ball that celebrates the annual opening of the Metropolitan Museum's (hence, the Met) fashion exhibit at the Costume Institute. Unlike the evening rivals from the West Coast (Vanity Fair Oscar Party) who have more Hollywood people, the MET fulfilled with people from fashion industry and style magazine as well. The event has been an annual affair at the Met since 1948, but it has been held in different parts of the museum over the years. The Met Ball hosted by Vogue, is considered as "the fashion world's best red carpet event" by some fashion experts.

Each year the event has a theme This year’s theme: “Schiaparelli & Prada, Impossible Conversations,” which is, according to The New York Times, “saluting an imaginary exchange between two feminist designers.” It will explore similarities between Ella Schiaparelli and Miuccia Prada. 

Guests who came to the Met Ball were fully dressed to the nines. I was really excited to see them all. Here is what I learned from the biggest red carpet event of the year.. 


#PEPLUMS!
peplums!
Some stars rocked peplums number at the Met. Started from January Jones who looked as chic as ever in her Versace dress and Cartier jewelry. She combined the peplum and neon trend altogether and made a perfect look for the evening. While Solange Knowles opted a soft yellow with pretty peplum from Rachel Roy
However I kinda get a mixed feelings with Elizabeth Banks' looked here in Mary Katrantzou dress. She took risk by mixing those prints, it looked good on TV but it's just wrong in my point of view. There's too much going on in her dress. No wonder if someone categorized her as best dressed, while others undoubtedly put her on the worst dressed list.


#CAPE
cape war
A first timer at the fashion frenzy, Lana Del Rey dazzling in Joseph Altuzarra metallic dress. Her black cape didn't flatter her at all, in fact it resembled vampire look, top off with those vamp up lips. Vampirinspired much? Another crusader Bianca Brandolini flashing her cape in excessively sequins number by Dolce and Gabbana. Sadly, both failed bring the cape to the upper level. 


#METALLIC

metallic
Metallic is not a new thing in red carpet.. This time around, a look from Lea Michele, Carey Mulligan, and Karolina Kurkova successfully caught my attention. Lea Michele indeed looked stunning with her plunge neckline dress, by DvF. I love how she managed to look decent and sexy with sultry accent at the same time. And oh! Carey Mulligan! How can I describe her? She looked stellar with her Prada metallic dress. Her make up, dress, and shoes were perfect. She was perfection. Best dressed. Definitely. Strutting the red carpet with turban, it's none other than Karolina Kurkova. She wore a long sleeve rose gold sequin gown with open back and train by Rachel Zoe. It's a daring look and you know what? She could PULL it off!!


#OMBRE
ombre
Beyonce has to be one of the most talk-about person at the Met. She wore Givenchy Couture ombre dress. Who am I to criticize such lady, but so sorry Bey, I think you need to exercise more to wear that beautiful gown. Your post baby body is UHmazing, but don't you feel like to wear a more suitable dress? If Joan Rivers asked me a "Hit or Miss" question, I will absolutely answer, MISS! Another one who rocked ombre trend is one of my favorite actress, Marion Cotillard. Unlike Beyonce, this look was definitely a HIT. She strikes a pose in head to toe Christian Dior and it was BREATHTAKING! The color, the pattern, the fabric, it was purrrfect. Well done miss Cotillard.


#CUTOUT

cutout
I'm pretty sure that Anja Rubik said something like, "look at my legs bitches! feel free to be green with envy" in her heart while being pictured here. Contrary with me when I saw her yesterday, I was like, "WTF?!" I know you have a thousand miles long legs to be proud of, but showed up in the red carpet wearing nothing? Yes, nothing! Sorry Anthony Vacarello, but it doesn't look like a dress to me. Moving from a nightmare to a slightly sweeter dreamy look, Karlie Kloss looked million times better than Anja. She wore (of course) the man who stood beside her, Jason Wu's dress. With almost the same cutout pattern, Jason smartly added a glimpse of lace inside the hot pink dress. Brilliant! It saves the day at least.



#%^&%^%$$^%

errr....

I personally have no idea where to put these? They looked like err.. just landed from another planet and attend the Met Ball. It was pretty disappointing to see Marc Jacobs showed up like this. I don't get it. Was he high? He looked like a crackhead to me. While the lady on his right looked like what would have been someone's wedding cake or white christmas tree. Florence Welch graced the red carpet with Alexander McQueen dress. Hired a new stylist, I beg you.



#LASTBUTNOTLEAST

I noticed that vamp up looks shone on red carpet. Here are my favorite look of the night. both Camilia Belle and Lana Del Rey wore a dark lipstick, and while Jessica Alba looked very pretty in her dark red lipstick shade. Dark lips is something I refuse to try, but I must say it looked so freaking good on these beautiful women.

vamp up

That's all my recap from the Met Gala 2012. Until next time... Ciao! xx





image source: JustJared, Google.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

.

I'm shaking as I type this.  After so many years I haven't update my blog, but i feel like now i need it more than ever.  Writing use to be my therapy.  so. my husband died. on 22-11-22 to be exact.  85 days ago  there. i say it.  you won't believe how much courage i've gathered to type this post here. the very blog that witness our journey. from a hopeless teenager, to finally got married, and eventually became parents of two adorable kids. too bad i didn't get a chance to update it more. however i frequently updated my twitter & instagram. so there are traces of our journey there as well.  how do i feel? PAIN. EXCRUCIATING PAIN. A PAIN THAT IMPOSSIBLE TO CURE My heart so tattered that there's nothing more to be torn. He died a sudden death. I won't go into details, at least not now. Our 20 years journey ended abrubtly. there goes our future hopes and dreams. __________________ I begin to questioning the existence of God. We've lead a good life. we&

D a d d y

Dearest,  We both know that we've been through some major ups and downs. There were those hard times when we didn't look each other's eyes.. But also there were those happier times when we laughed together and hugged each other very tight. Sorry cos I haven't make you proud.. :( But that doesn't mean I love you any less.  Deep down inside I'll always be your little girl. Thank you for being the best Dad in the world.. You've no idea how much I love and adore you. Happy birthday! GBU abundantly xoxo

bye bye baby...

bye bye baby... Valentino Rossi's career at Yamaha finally comes to an end after seven years full of bittersweet memories.. Next year, he will be "back home" to Ducati and maybe will finish his motoGP career there. I can't imagine how motoGP would be without Rossi. It will be the end of an era. first kiss, first winning Last week GP at Valencia was very emotional and heartbreaking especially for Rossi who had to kiss his Yamaha M1 for the last time, just like what he did seven years ago at Welkom (first winning with Yamaha). From what I've read in his autobiography book, Rossi considered his M1 as a woman, a girlfriend whom he loved dearly.. Too bad Yamaha finally chosen Lorenzo instead of Rossi (I read somewhere that Rossi would do anything he can to be with Yamaha till the end of his career, he wouldn't mind being a mechanic or else). Geez! Does Yamaha forget everything that Rossi has done for them? Yamaha was a trash back then! Rossi came and raised